Lesson blog #7 - Kyo Kanoko Musume Dojo-ji (京鹿子娘道成寺), pt. 3 and Hatsune (初音)

After last week's issues with illness due to medications for my upcoming surgery, I was concerned about my ability to make it through this week's lesson. Fortunately, I was able to work with my doctor to change my medications so that I wouldn't be so ill. This week's lesson was much better in that regard. I have issues with coordination but that is blu a medication issue. I am not happy about it though because I'm not as accurate sometimes when I play. 

This week, we completed Kyo Kanoko Musume Dojo-ji (京鹿子娘道成寺). Most of the time when we complete a piece, my sensei has me play the whole thing through on my own. I think she was still concerned about my health, so we mostly played together. Only the particularly difficult parts were repeated as a solo. I noticed a few issues with my timing this week, and I hope that this is related to my health and will resolve after surgery. I knew what I wanted to play but my right hand and arm would do something slightly different.


After completing that piece, we had time to start a new piece: Hatsune (初音). The title means "first bird song of the new year". The lyrics mostly speak about the wonderful sights and sounds of the new year. I think my sensei was hoping to have this completed before January 1st since it is so seasonal, but I will be recovering from surgery during much of the end of the year. The vocals seem difficult in this piece, but lovely. This week, I was told to only play the shamisen part of the maeuta while my sensei sang and played. The shamisen timing is a little difficult as well, and with my health it's that much harder. I hope in my practice this week that I will understand it better and be able to start adding the vocals.


Next week will be my last lesson blog until the new year, so I wish you all a happy holiday!



Sheet music (Hatsune)
(click on images to enlarge)


0 comments:

Post a Comment