Lesson Blog #20 - Shiki no Yanagi (四季の柳)

This week, we focused on the first three parts of the piece, the spring, summer, and autumn parts. The spring and summer parts were mostly uneventful, only a few singing mistakes due mostly to no reference notes around them. The autumn part was where I knew I had trouble before because it gets considerably more complicated, both in speed and technique. I did still have to slow down some more than I would have liked during the tegoto because of the chaos of it, but it was still improved from last week. Also, I did not practice the koto parts much during the week, and I should have because I am nearly always playing solo, and my sensei expects me to do it since there are such large gaps if you ignore them (or it doesn't flow as smoothly if you omit the bars). So I need to practice that more as well. It is particularly tricky though because it jumps so far from the shamisen part of the tegoto, but again, muscle memory is what I need to develop here.

For next week, the goal is to improve the tegoto accuracy and speed (with the koto parts included), be more confident and accurate with the singing, and practice the winter part. There is a possibility that we will finish this piece up next week, but it is also possible that we will have a few more lessons on this before we complete it. Frankly, that's all up to how well I practice this week! I have two fewer days to practice than usual because I had to move my lesson day for next week, so that just means I need to practice even more diligently!

0 comments:

Post a Comment